iFuse: The Triangle-Shaped Implant Designed Specifically for the SI Joint
The iFuse Implant System® was developed as a minimally invasive surgical option for patients who have failed non-surgical treatment options. Since it was first introduced in 2009, tens of thousands of procedures have been performed by thousands of surgeons who have been specifically trained to provide this option for their patients.
The iFuse Implant System®
The iFuse Implant, available since 2009, is a small, triangle-shaped medical device designed to stabilize and fuse the sacroiliac joint. It's minimally invasive and clinically proven to improve pain, function, and quality of life for people who have been diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction due to degeneration or disruption. The potential benefits?
- Minimally invasive surgical (MIS) approach can be done through a one to two inch incision
- Triangular implant profile minimizes joint movement and rotation
- An interference fit between the implant and the adjacent osseous walls provides immediate stabilization
- Porous surface provides favorable environment for bony ongrowth and ingrowth17
- iFuse shape and surface are well suited for sacral bone
- Rigid titanium construction and implant geometry designed to stabilize and fuse the heavily loaded SI joint
iFuse Surgical Technique
The possible benefits of the iFuse minimally invasive surgical procedure are:
- MIS procedure with small incision
- Designed using standard orthopedic "pin, drill, broach" surgical site preparation
- Cannulated delivery system
- Minimal blood loss
Clinical publications demonstrate that the iFuse minimally invasive procedure results in fewer complications than traditional open surgery.
iFuse Implant System
The iFuse Implant System consists of cannulated triangular, titanium (Ti 6Al4V ELI) implants with a porous surface and an instrument system. Implant surface and shape are designed to prevent rotation and motion of the sacroiliac (SI) joint. The instrument system uses guide pins for accurate placement.